Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital offers an extensive line of medical services. Listed below are many of our services and specialties. If you can't find what you're looking for, please contact us and we'll be glad to assist you. Use the links below to find more information on our available services.
24-Hour Emergency Department
The Emergency Department at Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital is a 24-hour specialized department that is designed to assess and treat patients that present with an acute or chronic medical condition or injury. We have a 6 bed unit that is staffed with an experienced emergency physician. We have a full RN staff that strives to give the best quality emergency care. Our nursing team is certified in Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac and Pediatric Life Support, as well as Trauma Nurse Core Certifications. We have 24-hour ancillary services that include Xray, CT scan, Laboratory, Ultrasound and Respiratory Therapy.
At AKMH we want to provide the highest level of quality care within the scope of our services; because of this, we have a shared emergency program with our parent hospital, Lafayette General Medical Center. If the need for a higher level of care arises, the patient will be transferred to one of the Lafayette General Health facilities or another facility of the patient's choosing.
We care about our patients even after they leave our hospital. Our nurses call every patient that is discharged to follow up on issues they may have encountered, such as: ability to fill your prescription without any problems, any unusual post discharge pain or symptoms, or to answer any questions about their discharge instructions.
For more information call, (337) 643-8300, ext. 5299.
Behavioral Health Unit
Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital's 10 bed inpatient behavioral health unit, specializes in the stabilization of adults and seniors suffering from clinical depression and other forms of chronic mental illness.
We Assist Adults Experiencing:
- 24-hour care directed by a psychiatrist
- Individual, group, and family therapy
- Consulting physician to identify and address physical illnesses
- Confidential pre-admission screenings
- Local transportation
Criteria For Admission:
- Anxiety, Excessive Worry or Panic
- Severe Mood Swings
- Hallucinations or Delusions
- Disorientation or Confusion
- Sleep Disturbances
- Appetite Disturbances
- Other Mood, Behavioral, or Thought Disorders
For questions about our services or to schedule a confidential pre-admission screening, please call (337) 643-6009.
- 21 years of age or older
- Inability to function in activities of daily living
- Requires continuous skilled evaluation and observation
- Poses an actual or potential danger to self or others
Home Health Services
Everyone knows there’s no place like home. That’s especially true when you’re recovering from illness or injury. Kaplan HomeCare provides high-quality home health services in the comfort of home to our patients across South Central Louisiana.
We’re proud to be the home health partner for Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital. Working together with your hospital care team and under the direct supervision of your physician, we help you easily transition from the hospital to your home. Our highly skilled home care professionals deliver quality, compassionate care designed to help you heal. And we always include your family in the healing process, offering valuable information, guidance and - most of all - support.
Generally, Medicare and/or Medicaid will cover the cost of home health services for those patients over the age of 65 who meet either program’s eligibility requirements. Private insurance companies, managed care organizations and workers' compensation plans may also pay for home health services.
Our agency is operated in partnership with Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital. For more information, call (337) 643-8207.
Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital Laboratory's purpose is to provide laboratory services to the residents of Kaplan and surrounding communities. Our Lab provides a comprehensive test menu to meet the needs of our physicians and patients. AKMH lab techs assure accurate, reliable and prompt performance of tests and reporting of results while providing excellent patient care and safety. In the event that non-menu testing is needed, our partners, Lafayette General Medical Center and Labcorp will fulfill those services.
Services (Lab Testing):
- Blood Banking
- All other reference labs are performed by LGMC and Labcorp
Hours of Operation:
Our Radiology Department uses state-of-the-art imaging equipment for:
- Monday - Friday 7 a.m.- 4 p.m. (Outpatient Department)
- 24-hour services (Emergency Department)
- For Scheduling call (337) 643-5244
- All physician orders accepted, including nurse practitioners and chiropractic care.
One of the remarkable advancements of modern medicine is the array of imaging technologies used to diagnose and treat diseases. The types of images include X-ray, ultrasound, computed tomography (CT), Nuclear Medicine and Digital Mammography.
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- Digital Mammography
- Nuclear Medicine
- Bone Density Services
Through Lafayette General Health, you have nearby access to some of the most advanced disciplines of these technologies offered anywhere today.
Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital Radiology Department has the tools to complete tests quickly and to read results with accuracy. This includes a new CT Scanner, newly renovated Nuclear Medicine Suite, fully digital X-ray room and portable units featuring the latest in X-ray technology.
Need a CD of your imaging performed at AKMH? Call ahead to Medical Records (337) 643-5301 and request a copy before your visit. Be ready to provide your name, date of birth and the doctor you are going to see, prior to calling. The patient is the only individual allowed to pick up the CD—please bring your picture ID with you.
By combining our state-of-the-art machinery with the manpower supplied by the top radiologists and technologists in the area, AKMH provides its patients with the highest quality care to get the diagnosis right the first time.
Are you dealing with back pain, recovering from a stroke, aiming to return to sports and recreation or suffering from other aches and pain?
Let AKMH and MTS Therapy help you achieve your best self! Our team of Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist and Speech Therapist will work closely with you to develop an effective, individualized plan of care. Our health care professionals are here to help you return to your highest levels of mobility, communication and life.
Our multi-disciplinary (PT, OT, SLP) team approach allows us to specialize in treating patients with:
For more information on how we can help you restore, maintain and improve your health, please contact us at (337) 643-5312 or via email at AKMHTherapy@lgh.org.
- Neck, back, shoulder, hip, knee and foot/ankle injuries
- Orthopaedic surgeries (Total Joint Replacement)
- Stroke care including: balance, gait, activities of daily living, verbal and receptive communication, swallowing difficulties
- Parkinson's and other neurological conditions
- Functional Independence and mobility to optimize health and well-being
Respiratory Therapy Services
At Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital our Respiratory Therapists are dedicated to providing proficient and compassionate care to our patients on an Emergency, Inpatient and Outpatient level. Our respiratory team is a group of licensed professionals whose purpose is to maintain quality care in the most cost-effective manner. Their responsibilities include assessment of the patient, disease management and education; with the goal of rehabilitating the individual.
Our Respiratory Therapists are available in the Emergency Department and Inpatient Unit 24 hours a day. For Diagnostic/Outpatient Services, they are available Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
AKMH Respiratory Therapy Department is now scanning Holter Monitors at our facility. Results will be sent to your cardiologist within 24-hours for interpretation. Our Home Sleep Apnea Study results are sent to an E.N.T. Physician that is certified in sleep apnea interpretation.
- Pulmonary Function Studies (spirometry only)
- Arterial Blood Gases
- Electrocardiograms (EKG' s)
- Home Sleep Apnea Studies
- 24-hour Holter Monitor (includes Pediatrics 5 years and older)
- Aerosol Therapy
- Ventilatory Support
- Home Oxygen Qualifications
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (337) 643-5273.
Welcome to Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital 's Surgical Department. Our goal is to provide excellent quality surgical care that is personalized to your every need. Our department consists of two surgical suites and a post anesthesia care unit. Technological advances allow us to perform a wide variety of minimally invasive procedures, allowing most of our patients to leave the same day.
Services include but are not limited to:
Our professional surgical team consists of a board certified general surgeon, physicians certified in endoscopic procedures, anesthesia services, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Surgical Technologists. Each member of our team is dedicated to providing patients and family members with a great experience from start to finish ; from the personalized one-on-one pre-op interview to the compassionate follow-up phone call made once you are home. We pride ourselves by upholding our motto, "To Restore, Maintain, and Improve Health."
- Laparoscopic Appendectomy (appendix removal)
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Hernia repair
- Carpel tunnel repair
- Colon resection
- Breast biopsy
- Mastectomy (breast removal)
- Skin graft
- Gastrostomy tube placement (feeding tube)
- Pathology (tissue testing)
- Pediatric services*
AKMH's surgical staff is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week where we are always personal, local and committed. For more information call, (337) 643-8300, ext. 5289.
Inpatient Acute Care / Swing Bed Unit
Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital provides a wide range of healthcare services to accommodate and meet the expectations of our patients, families and community. We have a dedicated and skilled staff that provides quality healthcare services. Our team consists of Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses and Certified Nursing Assistants, as well as two wound care certified nurses. We have a team of local physicians to treat the primary care needs of their patients, as well as 24-hour hospitalist coverage, who make daily rounds, including weekends. Our Acute Care Medical / Surgical unit is a 25 bed unit which includes adult, pediatric, observation and Swing Bed for the acute and chronically ill patients. We have nine telemetry capable beds available for cardiac monitoring.
We partner with CIS for Tele-cardiology for those patients that require a cardiac consultation while in our hospital. If you do not have a physician, or if your physician does not have admitting privileges at our facility, our hospitalist can step into that role during your stay. Hospitalist are generally facility-employed internal medicine and/or family practice physicians who will coordinate and manage your care during your stay.
The Swing Bed Unit is an extended-stay program for those patients who are in a transition phase of illness or recovery. Our unit is focused on restoring health and independence to patients who require medical and comprehensive rehabilitation services but are not ready for discharge to other levels of care such as home, Home health or Nursing Home.
Our physician hospitalists provide 24/7 coverage and round on patients daily. We will also provide Telecardiology services for those Swing Bed patients that require cardiac monitoring or consultation.
What sets our Swing Bed Unit apart from a Skilled Nursing Unit at a nursing home?
- 24-hour in-house physician
- 24-hour Registered Nurse
- 24-hour Tele-cardiology services
- 24-hour surgery
- 24-hour wound care certified nurses
- IV fluids/medications
- Airway/Respiratory management
- Daily physician rounds
- All staff trained / certified BLS, ACLS
- 4 to 1 nurse-to-patient ratio to provide high quality compassionate care
For more information call, (337) 643-8300, ext. 5229.
- The majority of patients who have had a recent surgery of a general or orthopaedic nature, as well as many other procedures for which additional care is needed to improve strength and wellness
- Patients who have been inpatients for three consecutive midnights
- Patients needing long-term IV treatments, such as antibiotics and nutrition
- Stroke patients needing rehabilitation services
- Patients debilitated or deconditioned after a long hospital stay
- Those with newly inserted feeding tubes qualify for a short stay with a focus on patient/family education
- Any patients needing physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, respiratory therapy or a registered dietitian
- Patients requiring telemetry monitoring
- Patients with Swing Bed benefits such as Medicare and some commercial insurances
The primary function of a case manager is to advocate for the patient and family. Our facility has a case management team that is always available for your needs. Case managers assist with the coordination of care while in the hospital, as well as the transition to the next level of care that best suits the patient.
Services provided by Case Management include but are not limited to:
For more information or to make a referral please contact, (337) 223-0101.
- Insurance verification for services rendered
- Daily rounds on patient and family
- Meetings every Wednesday with patient, family and hospital care team
- Set up of medical equipment upon discharge to the home
- Home health services, Nursing Home placement or Hospice Care
- Follow-up appointments while inpatient or upon discharge home
- Transportation to appointments while in Swing Bed and for facilitation back to home
Outpatient Infusion Clinic
The Outpatient Infusion Clinic, located in Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital, is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Infusion services are provided by experienced Registered Nurses who specialize in intravenous treatments and vascular access nursing. These nurses are highly skilled in providing infusion therapy and monitoring patients during their treatment.
Staff members are committed to creating the best care experience for you by providing high quality compassionate care. In addition to facilitating IV treatments, they teach you and your family how to care for yourself during therapy so you can be an active participant in your health care.
Infusion and Injection Therapy services include but are not limited to:
Services Offered on Saturdays from 7 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Hepatitis B series
- TB screen
- IV fluids-Hydration
- IV Antibiotics
- Anemia Management
- Blood Product Infusions
- Iron Infusions
- Procrit/ Aranesp Management
- Albumin Infusion
- Primacor, Cardiac Infusions
- Osteoporosis Management-Prolia Injection/Reclast Infusion
- Intravenous Push Medications
- Port Flushes
- Central Line Care (including dressing changes)
- Labs from Central Lines for physician appointments
Lab / EKG / Pre-Operative Registration / Xrays / CT Scans* / Infusion Therapy
*Preauthorized by insurance and scheduled by 3 p.m. Friday.
For more information call, (337) 643-8300, ext. 5299.
The scope of services offered at Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital include:
- 24-Hour Emergency Services and Emergency Room Physician
- Telemedicine Consultation, including Cardiology
- Inpatient Acute Care and Skilled Nursing Facility Beds
- Inpatient & Outpatient Surgical Procedures
- High Definition Endoscopy
- Digital Radiology and Imaging
- C.T. Scanning
- Digital Mammography
- Ultrasound (General, Vascular and Echo)
- Nuclear Medicine
- Bone Density
- Pediatric Services
- Cardiopulmonary Services
- Holter Monitor
- Blood Gas
- Home Sleep Studies
- Pharmacy Services
- Lab Services
- Inpatient Behavioral Health
- Physical, Speech and Occupational Therapy (Inpatient & Outpatient)
- Primary Care Clinics
- Home Health Services (LHC Group)