University Hospital & Clinics Reopens Pediatric Clinic
University Hospital & Clinics (UHC) is pleased to announce that outpatient pediatric services are returning to the UHC campus effective Monday, December 23. The Pediatric Clinic returns to the exact same location that had been previously closed by state budget cuts in June 2012. Through UHC's management under Lafayette General Health (LGH), the clinic will provide direct admission to Lafayette General Medical Center's pediatrics floor.
Richard F. Howes, M.D., and Cecilia T. Nervez, M.D., are returning to UHC where they successfully ran the pediatric clinic prior to its shutdown.
Dr. Howes is one of a handful of physicians statewide that is board certified in Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics. In addition to general pediatric care, Dr. Howes and Dr. Nervez will treat ADHD, Autism and other developmental/behavioral disorders, and coordinate early intervention services. Pediatric counseling and child/adolescent psychology are services UHC plans to add in the future. Both physicians will continue to train and educate LSU/LGH residents.
By re-opening the Pediatric Clinic, children seen at UHC will have convenient access to audiology services, state-of-the-art imaging and speech therapy. The location also assures ready access to urgent laboratory and diagnostic services.
UHC recently added a wireless Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR) system and is the only hospital in Acadiana with that technology. The ABR allows UHC to assess infants and young children without anesthesia, reducing the wait time for assessments and making it safer for patients by eliminating the need for sedation.
Since LGH assumed management of UHC, a capital output of nearly $750,000 has been used to purchase a new ultrasound machine, nuclear medicine camera, C-arm for surgical imaging and a stress EKG machine.
"This is the greatest Christmas present we could give to the children of Acadiana," stated UHC President/CEO Jared Stark, FACHE. "All children deserve a place to receive comprehensive health care."
Current or new patients of Dr. Howes and Dr. Nervez should call the UHC Pediatrics Clinic at 261-6565 to make an appointment.
Since UHC opened under LGH management...
- The Orthopedic Clinic was immediately expanded to include a full-timeOrthopedicmedical staff, after services had been drastically reduced over the past several years
- Eight (8) additional inpatient beds have opened
- A third operating room (OR) has opened and more OR time has been added
- Cardiology services have been enhanced through a partnership with Cardiovascular Institute of the South (CIS) and cardiology clinic days have increased, meaning more availability for patients
- The Oncology Clinic has been enhanced with assistance from Cancer Center of Acadiana at Lafayette General in an effort to see more patients
- Plans have been made to add interventional cardiology
- An agreement is nearly in place to re-open the Medical Detoxification Unit in early 2014 (it has been closed since February 2012)